First Lutheran School Messenger
Isaiah 40:31 “…but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles;…”
Issue No. 12 November 19, 2020
What a treat I had on Monday! On my way home from rehab at Holyoke Hospital I was able to stop by the playground and thank the PreK children for their Thanksgiving card, as well as, see the children from PreK through first grade. What a beautiful sight! It brought forth thanksgiving for First Lutheran Christian School; thankfulness to God for a school that can share the Good News of the forgiveness of sins through Jesus Christ, while providing academic excellence. I am thankful for a staff that may grow weary in well doing, but doesn’t forget who they serve. And, of course, I am thankful for all the families that make up First Lutheran School.
May your Thanksgiving, as different as it may be from those you’ve had before, still focus on giving thanks!!
Mrs. Ricco joined the First Lutheran staff in September of 2010 as the Middle School Math teacher. Within the last few years she has also become the Spelling teacher to sixth and eighth grades. Previously she was a substitute teacher at Pioneer Valley Christian Academy where her love for teaching flourished. She returned to college to earn her degree in Education.
Mrs. Ricco enjoys spending time with her husband and their three adult children and their families; especially their two grandchildren Nathan and Giovanni. Nathan is in third grade & Giovanni in Kindergarten here at First Lutheran. She and her husband are looking forward to the birth of their third grandson in mid-December.
Mrs. Ricco may be a teacher, but she also loves being a student. When time permits, she loves to delve into God’s word and discover the wonders he has for her. She is a member of New Life Christian Center and from time to time joins the worship team where praising God through song is her gift.
Every summer you can find Mrs. Ricco and her family & extended family, vacationing in West Dennis at the Cape. That is her favorite place to be; by the ocean sharing and making new memories every year.
Here are the names of this year’s 7th grade class…
Scarlett Jayden Emily L.
Luke Kieryn Kylie
Emily H. Rylie
Please keep them in your prayers!
Hot Dog Friday 11/20 ~ Money collected Thursday 11/19
Chick-Fil-A Monday 11/30 ~Money collected Friday 11/20
Pizza Wednesday 12/2 ~ Money collected 12/1
Hot Dog Friday 12/4 ~ Money collected Thursday 12/3
Chick-Fil-A Monday 12/7 ~Money collected Friday 12/4
Thanksgiving Gatherings & Travel
As we face the uncertainty of the current situation with the Corona Virus Pandemic…we ask that you please review the Massachusetts travel guidelines & Department of Elementary & Secondary Education (DESE) protocols as you consider your plans for Thanksgiving. We thank you for your cooperation as we work together to keep our students, families, & staff safe.
All visitors entering Massachusetts, including returning residents, who do not meet an exemption, are required to:
- Complete the Massachusetts Travel Form prior to arrival, unless you are visiting from a lower-risk statedesignated by the Department of Public Health. The current list of COVID-19 lower-risk states includes:(as of 11/16/20) Hawaii, Maine, New Hampshire & Vermont
- Quarantine for 14 days or produce a negative COVID-19 test result that has been administered up to 72-hours prior to your arrival in Massachusetts.
- If your COVID-19 test result has not been received prior to arrival, visitors, and residents must quarantine until they receive a negative test result.
For more detailed information, please visit:
As a reminder, below are the DESE protocols if you should come in close contact with someone who tested positive:
- Close contacts will be defined as only those who have been within 6 feet of distance of the individual for at least fifteen minutes, while the person was infectious. The infectious period begins 2 days prior to symptom onset. If someone is asymptomatic, the infectious period is considered to begin 2 days prior to the collection of their positive test. While previous guidance stated that all students in an elementary classroom would be defined as close contacts, this new guidance provides a narrower definition of a close contact which mirrors DPH guidance.
Policy of when a close contact may return to school
- All close contacts should be tested but must self-quarantine for 14 days after the last exposure to the person who tested positive, regardless of test result. After further consultation with the medical community, we are updating this guidance as the virus can cause illness from 2-14 days after exposure and even asymptomatic individuals can transmit the virus. Going forward, even if an individual identified as a close contact receives a negative test result, they must continue to self-quarantine for the full 14 days as the virus may take up to 14 days to cause illness.
FIRST LUTHERAN SCHOOL YEARBOOK
It’s still a little bit away, but please start thinking about this as you visit with friends and relatives over the holiday season…We need sponsors and advertisers to keep our yearbook costs down. Asking friends and relatives that own businesses is a great way to start. Also, check with your doctor and your dentist. Contracts will be sent home at a later date, but they are always available in the office. Sponsorships are a great way to congratulate a graduate or let your child know how proud you are of them. Costs for ads are as follows:
Full page $100.00
Half page $ 50.00
¼ page $ 25.00
*Sponsorship $ 10.00
*Sponsorships include up to 2 lines/ up to 60 letters each line.
News From First Lutheran Church
Wednesday, November 25 at 6:30 p.m.
Midweek of Advent – week 1 – December 2nd – Worship 6:30 p.m.
Midweek of Advent – week 2 – December 9th – Worship 6:30 p.m.
Midweek of Advent – week 3 – December 16th – Worship 6:30 p.m.
Midweek of Advent – week 4 – December 23rd – Worship 6:30 p.m.
Christmas Eve December 24th – Worship 6:30 p.m.
Christmas Day, December 25th, there is one service at 10:00 a.m.
Dates To Remember
Monday, November 23rd – Friday, November 27th ~ Thanksgiving Break
Friday, December 11th ~ Midquarter
Tuesday, December 15th ~ Midquarter grades go home
Monday, December 21st – Friday, January 1st ~ Christmas Break ~ School Resumes on Monday, January 4th.